Come join us at the SBH Teaching Kitchen to learn how to make delicious, flavorful, and affordable food that just so happens to be good for you, too! These hands-on cooking classes will take place in the state of the art teaching kitchen at 4507 3rd
avenue, across the street from the SBH main campus. In class you will work with our Chef Dietitian, Emily Schlag, to prepare a variety of different recipes each week. You will learn simple, healthful concepts that you will be able apply to the way you are already cooking at home!
These classes are open to people of all experience levels. Whether you’ve been cooking your entire life or if you’ve never picked up a chef’s knife before, you should leave class having learned new recipes and skills. We will provide all of the ingredients and equipment that you will need.
Minimum guests: 4
Maximum guests: 10
Class duration: 2 hours
Class Level: All Levels
- Closed toe shoes (such as sneakers or clogs) and mandatory. No flip flops, sandals, or other open toed shoes will be allowed in the kitchen. This is for your safety.
- Shorts are allowed, but discouraged. Pants are recommended to protect your legs.
- Try to wear comfortable clothes that you can move around in.
- Limit dangling jewelry and large rings.
- Long hair should be pulled back. Hats, bandanas, or other head coverings are encouraged.
What to bring:
- We recommend bringing containers to bring home leftovers in!
Visit our website: sbhteachingkitchen.org
Class 1 – Introduction to Culinary Nutrition
Want to learn how to create a healthy, well-balanced meal but not sure where to start? Our Introduction to Culinary Nutrition is the perfect class for you! In this class you’ll not only learn how to use a chef’s knife like a pro, but we will also cover essential cooking techniques such as searing, roasting, and making vinaigrettes!
- Seared chicken thighs with pan sauce
- Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Steamed Quinoa
- Homemade Vinaigrettes
- Everyday Green Salad
Start your day off right with a delicious, filling, and easy-to-make breakfast! In this class we’re show you how to make smoothies filled with nutritious fruits and vegetables, plus we’ll show you how to make home-made versions of breakfast favorites like egg & cheese sandwiches, breakfast sausage, and granola!
Class 3 – Lunch
- Apple & Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Banana Muffins
- Make-ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
- Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Fluffy whole Wheat Pancakes with Lemon Blueberry Syrup
Stuck in a lunch rut? Let us help you out! Packing a lunch for yourself instead of eating out every day is not only good for you, but it’s good for your wallet too!
Class 4 – Dinner
- Southwest Pasta Salad with Chipotle Lime Dressing
- Classic Chicken Salad
- Mediterranean Chicken Wraps
- Honey-Spiced Nuts
- Crispy Pan-Fried Chickpeas
Ditch the delivery apps and learn how to make a nutritious, delicious dinner in under an hour! You’ll also learn about making your own seasoning blends, which will put you in control of the amount of salt that goes into your food.
Class 5 – Vegetarian & Plant-Forward
- Lemon Garlic White Fish with Cherry Tomatoes
- Loaded Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- Roast Chicken Legs with Potatoes, Cauliflower, and Olives
- Chorizo Tacos with Salsa Roja
Interested in becoming a vegetarian, but not sure where to start? Or are you simply trying to cut down on the amount of meat you eat? Do you think that vegetarians only eat salads all day? Then this is the class for you! We will show you just how easy, delicious, and affordable it is to create vegetarian and plant-forward meals.
Class 6 – Healthy Desserts
- Easy Veggie Burgers with Zesty Burger Sauce
- Black Bean Soup
- Corn Salsa with Oven-Baked Tortilla Chips
- Vegetarian Bean Chili
- Cornbread Muffins
- Hidden Veggie Picadillo
Have a sweet tooth? In this class you’ll learn how to make some delicious desserts that just so happen to also be nutritious. This class features our *fan favorite* black bean brownies!
Class 7 – One Pot Meals
- Black Bean Brownies
- Besitos de Coco (coconut kisses)
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse with Berry Compote and Coconut Whipped Cream
- Mango Banana Ice Cream
Hate washing dishes? Then a one pot meal is perfect for you. In this class we’ll show you a variety of recipes that only need one pot, or one pan! Cleanup is a breeze once everything is on the stove or in the oven – giving you more time to relax and enjoy your meal.
Class 8 – International Cuisine
- Pollo Guisado
- Hearty Lentil Soup with Whole Wheat Flatbreads
- Chipotle Pork Chops with Squash and Salsa Verde
Explore global flavors with us! In this class you’ll have a chance to see how familiar ingredients are used in different ways all over the globe. You’ll also learn some fun new skills, such as stir-frying, poaching, and making your own cauliflower rice!
- Beef and Pepper Stir fry with Cauliflower Rice
- Coconut Cauliflower Curry with Indian Cucumber Salad
- Moroccan Chicken with Apricots & Chickpeas
- Shakshuka (Poached Eggs in Spiced Tomato Sauce)
Once a participant has registered and paid for a community class, the participant is required to cancel at least 48 hours before the commencement of the registered class. If the participant does not cancel or reschedule the class, the $5 registration fee is forfeited.
If a participant cancels at least 48 hours before the commencement of the class, that participant can reschedule to any other community class up to 2 weeks from the date of the class they were originally registered to attend.